1- 2 November ‘19 Acrylic mixed media ‘Seascapes and rivers’ The Sandpiper Studio
Final places remaining!
The Sandpiper studio
The Sandpiper Studio is set in a peaceful countryside location at Foxes Farm and Riding School on the Wirral Peninsular and a great place for our inspirational workshops. The Wirral estuary is just a stones throw away - the perfect place to relax and unwind for anyone staying over.
Sandpiper Studio is the dedicated studio of professional artist Julie McLean BA (Hons) who has also been teaching adults in a variety of drawing and painting media for more than 15 years.
The large, bright studio provides the ideal space for painting with friends in a relaxed and informal atmosphere - no wonder it is so popular! The workshops (14 students maximum) ensure individual learning needs will be met on this wonderful painting weekend and everyone is made to feel very welcome and at home straight away so you can relax and unwind into a great painting experience.
Painting expressively with acrylic inks and acrylic paint is what this weekend workshop is all about. The freedom of acylic paint allows you to create many differnt types of layers quickly - perfect as this is what we will be creatively exploring over this entire weekend! Using big brush techniques and a bold approach, this exciting weekend workshop will also teach you how to control large washes of coloured acrylic ink in contrast to more opaque layers of sumptuous acrylic colour. With regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition throughout each day you will learn lots of different contemporary art techniques to help you really develop as artists.
Day 1: flowing rivers with overhanging reflections
This great workshop will teach you how to paint techniques with acrylic paint those tricky reflections as well as 'getting to grips with greens' and how to mix accurate colours in trees and moving water. Lots of expressive mark making with different types of brushes and palette knives layering paint and acrylic inks!
Day 2: Seascape rocky textures
Learn how to create a visually exciting paining exploring textural techniques with fluid acrylic inks and acrylic paint on a heavy weight 640gsm not surface watercolour paper.
A superb workshop which explores acrylic paint and inks on primed watercolour paper (shown in class) to give very different creative effects to that of canvas. Using brushes and palette knives see how your painting quickly develops into an eye catching work of art full of colour and drama. Great to work big!
Both workshops are suitable for improvers and artists with some painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style and be more free and expressive.
The Sandpiper Studio is located at Foxes Farm and Riding School in Ledsham on The Wirral Peninsular and is easily accessible from the M53 or A540 Chester High Road.
Only 10 minutes by car from Chester or Heswall with the nearest railway station is Hooton not far away, Sandpiper Studio is really easy to get to.
The studio and all facilities are on one level and there is plenty of parking directly outside.
For students travelling long distances and in need of local accommodation, a wide range of hotels, guest houses and travel lodges can be found within a few minutes’ drive from the studio.
Contact Julie for more information or go to www.visitwirral.com
How to Book your workshops
Each workshop is £75. You may book them both together or as separate days.
Telephone Julie 07788 412 480 or Email email@example.com to book.
A deposit of £20 is required for each workshop when booking if preferred with the balance due at least 6 weeks prior to the date of the workshop.
Lunch and all refreshments are included. Please advise us of any particular dietary requirements with Julie when booking.
For further information about your workshops contact
Julie Mclean, The Sandpiper Studio, Foxes Farm, Badgers Rake Lane, Ledsham, South Wirral CH66 8PF
Tel 07788 412 480
What will be provided:
- A wonderful buffet lunch together with tea, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day on both workshops
- Some reference for you to paint from if you cannot find a suitable subject to paint from (but do try) as those provided cannot be taken away
What you will need to bring:
- Acrylic inks (any brand)
- DAY 1.- Canvas board, board or stretched canvas (your own choice of size and brand). DAY 2 - Heavy weight 640gsm 'not' watercolour paper (any brand) 1/2 or FULL imperial sheet - your choice
- Masking tape, White ceramic plates (3 or 4) on which to mix your paints with several old jam jars for clean water mixing
- Acrylic paints - any brand and your own choice of colours
- Your own good quality reference photos for each workshop to work from. A4 print outs highly recommended as other sizes may be too small. Some may be provided to work from to be returned after workshops
- A variety of hog brushes and synthetic brushes for acrylic painting and acrylic ink so DIFFERENET TYPES AND SIZES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Old rags, cloths
- An easel (your own choice) for artists who like to work upright
- Premixed Gesso (any brand but not Bob Ross as it is too thin)
- A hairdryer
- Students choice of acrylic additives, auxiliaries to bring with you (optional)
- Palette knives - any type
- Note book and camera
- Drawing board to the size you wish to work
- Masking tape and bulldog clips