27 and 28 July 2019 ‘Aspects of the sea’ mixed media painting weekend in Derbyshire
Workshop weekend now well over half full. Final places remaining!
The Old House Studio in the Peak District
The old House Studio is set amidst beautiful open scenery in the Longdendale Valley with magnificent views over the Rhodeswood Resevour and surounding moors in the magnificent Peak District.
With farmhouse, annex and fabulous new and modern studio, this peaceful and relaxing haven is perfect for our weekend 'art retreat' weekend where you will learn lots!
Situated 3 miles from Glossop and with some of Derbyshire's best attractions being close by such as Buxton, Castleton, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall to name but a few, The Old House Studio offers an amazing and unique place to learn new art skills.
A unique opportunity to 'try before you buy' workshop using the brand new and very popular media 'Inktense' created by Derwent. Each student will be provided with 24 different colours and several pencil sets to share during your workshop.
Following Roberts expert guidance throughout each day You will learn how to mix colours proficiently and easliy to get the specific shade and tone you want, layer with this exciting media and paint and draw with it at the same time to create a superb seascape that will give the appearance you have used several media in the one painting all thanks to the versatility of Derwent inktense!
On day two you will learn how to combine Derwent Inkense with other media to create another amazing seascape painting, this time full of texture and eye catching detail. Combining watercolour/gouache and bright acrylic inks (your choice of colours you decide to bring with you), you will create a stunning mixed media seascape full of life with a really dramatic end result.
Using big brush techniques on each day you'll be excited by the different possibilities when expressive mark making and clean colour mixing with all your media following Roberts lead. You will quickly gain confidence and control with all your media to create paintings filled with plenty of expression and an entirely fresh look with the inclusion of Derwent Inktense.
Suitable for improvers and artists with some previous painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style and be more free and expressive whilst having a great leaning experience together.
Day 1. Saturday 7 July
Crashing waves and rocky shoreline
Our first exciting mixed media day following a dramatic coastal scene with crashing waves over rocks and cliffs. There is plenty of multi layering and expressive mark making to give depth to your seascape filled with atmospheric effects and dramatic rich darks and sparkling light. A great day to learn how to use the new and exciting Derwent inktense in a really contemporary way too!
Day 2. Sunday 8 July
The second mixed media day gets those big brushes really into action! Learn how to use big sweeping gestural marks with bright acrylic inks, watercolour/gouache and of course, the versatile Derwent inktense! Learn too how to combine all media together in an exciting way mixing fresh bright blues, glowing beach colours in a workshop that concentrates on simple yet very effective compositions creating paintings that really will stand out from the crowd!
The Old House Studio, woodhead Road, Torside, Glossop, Derbyshire SK13 1HU
Some limited accommodation is available for artists staying the full weekend and for distance travellers. Early booking highly recommended!
From Glossop town centre (A57) take B6105 signposted Barnsley. Proceed approx 3 miles along this road where you will reach a sharp bend called Devil's Elbow and continue for another 500yards. The Old House Studio is situated on the left hand side 50 yards below the road. A warm welcome awaits upon your arrival!
How to Book your workshop and the cost
The price of your workshop is a very generous £160 for the full weekend.
Please contact Joanne or James Crook to book your place directly by calling 01457 857527 or emailing email@example.com to secure your place.
Places are limited to 8 STUDENTS ONLY and there are not many places left so booking right now is highly recommended!
For further information about your workshops contact:
Joanne or James direct or visit http://www.pennine-art.uk/
What will be provided:
- Tea and coffee and light refreshments all day as and when required
- Home cooked food and tasty generous 2 course lunches each day on your workshop
- Regular demonstrations, group and one to one tuition throughout each day
- 24 Inktense blocks per student to trial during the 2 day workshop - returned at the end
- Several sets of Inktense pencils to 'try before you buy' to be shared amongst students. To be returned at the end
- Hassle free paper to purchase for your workshop from Canson Ambassador Robert Dutton at £2.50 per half Imperial sheet and £5 full Imperial sheet
What you will need to bring:
- Large drawing board (size depending on how you like to work)
- Masking tape and bulldog clips
- Your own good quality reference photos (or similar) of seascapes to work from. Some good quality A4 provided to work from but cannot be taken away.
- Canson Moulin du Roy 'not and 'rough' 300gsm (140lb) 100% cotton watercolour paper highly recommended.
- Gouache and/or Watercolour TUBE PAINTS (your own favourite colours). Pan paints in any watercolour box will not do!!
- Large watercolour brushes (approximately 'size 30 round'), large Mops, Hakes and so on highly recommended
- Large containers or palettes with wells and water pots to mix your paints
- Permanent White Gouache is ESSENTIAL!
- Scrap paper - A4 envelope size recommended
- kitchen Roll
- Acrylic inks - Various colours (students choice following their watercolours). Royal Talens acrylic inks highly recommended.
- An old large 'hog' brush
- Masking fluid
- Don't forget your camera and notebook to record each stage