1- 2 November ‘19 Acrylic mixed media ‘River and Reflections’ The Sandpiper Studio South Wirral
The Sandpiper studio
The Sandpiper Studio is set in a peaceful countryside location at Foxes Farm and Riding School on the Wirral Peninsular and a great place for our inspirational workshops. The Wirral estuary is just a stones throw away - the perfect place to relax and unwind for anyone staying over.
Sandpiper Studio is the dedicated studio of professional artist Julie McLean BA (Hons) who has also been teaching adults in a variety of drawing and painting media for more than 15 years.
The large, bright studio provides the ideal space for painting with friends in a relaxed and informal atmosphere - no wonder it is so popular! The workshops (14 students maximum) ensure individual learning needs will be met on this wonderful painting weekend and everyone is made to feel very welcome and at home straight away so you can relax and unwind into a great painting experience.
Painting expressively with acrylic is what this weekend workshop is all about. The freedom of acylicpaint allows you to layer and layer quickly which is perfect for how this weekend workshop is planned. You will learn how to combine acrylic ink with acrylic paint during your layering to create an exciting response to your subject - a fast flowing river with overhanging reflections, with expressive mark making techniques.
This exciting painting weekend (one painting created over both days) will give you with a real insight into how versatile acrylic paint can create a unique visual impact to your artistic direction.
Using big brush techniques and a bold approach, this exciting weekend workshop will teach you how to control large washes of coloured acrylic ink as glases with other layers of sumptuous thicker applications of acrylic colour. Creative freedom with all the marks you make is what this weekend is also all about!
With regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition throughout each day you will learn lots of different contemporary art techniques to help you really develop as artists.
Both workshops are suitable for improvers and artists with some painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style and be more free and expressive.
Important: your own river reference to work from (photos, sketches and so on) are highly recommended as those provided on the day to use cannot be taken away.
The Sandpiper Studio is located at Foxes Farm and Riding School in Ledsham on The Wirral Peninsular and is easily accessible from the M53 or A540 Chester High Road.
Only 10 minutes by car from Chester or Heswall with the nearest railway station is Hooton not far away, Sandpiper Studio is really easy to get to.
The studio and all facilities are on one level and there is plenty of parking directly outside.
For students travelling long distances and in need of local accommodation, a wide range of hotels, guest houses and travel lodges can be found within a few minutes’ drive from the studio.
Contact Julie for more information or go to www.visitwirral.com
How to Book your workshops
Each workshop is £75. You may book them both toghether or as separate days.
Telephone Julie 07788 412 480 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
A deposit of £20 is required for each workshop when booking if preferred with the balance due at least 6 weeks prior to the date of the workshop.
Lunch and all refreshments are included. Please advise us of any particular dietary requirements with Julie when booking.
For further information about your workshops contact
Julie Mclean, The Sandpiper Studio, Foxes Farm, Badgers Rake Lane, Ledsham, South Wirral CH66 8PF
Tel 07788 412 480
What will be provided:
- A wonderful buffet lunch together with tea, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day on both workshops
- Some reference for you to paint from if you cannot find a suitable subject to paint from (but do try) as those provided cannot be taken away
What you will need to bring:
- Acrylic inks (any brand)
- Canvas board or stretched canvas (your own choice of size and brand)
- Masking tape, White ceramic plates (3 or 4) on which to mix your paints with several old jam jars for clean water mixing
- Acrylic paints - any brand and your own choice of colours
- Your own good quality reference photos of reflective rivers, overhanging trees with water and so on to work from. A4 print outs highly recommended as other sizes may be too small
- A variety of hog brushes and synthetic brushes for acrylic painting and acrylic ink so two different types are needed
- Old rags, cloths
- An easel (your own choice) for artists who like to work upright
- Premixed Gesso (any brand but not Bob Ross as it is too thin)
- A hairdryer
- Students choice of acrylic additives, auxiliaries to bring with you (optional) which was bought on a whim and never really explored. all will be revealed on this workshop!