Autumn 2018 ‘Autumn colour and creative expression’ 6 week course
Last places remaining!!
Bardsey Village Hall
Bardsey Village Hall is situated in beautiful countryside alongside the A58 road a few miles south west of the market town of Wetherby. The hall has recently been refurbished and is spacious, warm, well lit and has plenty of free parking. The hall is easy to get to being a short distance from junction 45 on the A1(M).
'Autumn colour and creative expression'
6 week art course using watercolour, gouache and acrylic inks (optional) and soft pastel
With the main focus this Autumn on colour exploration and expression, this popular contemporary watercolour course gives you the opportunity to lean how to become much more confident with colour for a wide range of subjects.
Using large brushes full of bright Autumn colours, you will learn how to create different types of marks confidently as you paint and explore each subject week by week.
With one subject every two weeks, you will be able to see each painting develop in stages and learn how to glaze inks, layer and glaze watercolour with gouache and create paintings that are bold, semi abstract and expressionistic in style.
Following short but exciting demonstrations to guide you each lesson (using acrylic inks, watercolour, gouache and soft pastel together over the six week course), you will learn how to become more confident yourselves with colour and more confident with your drawing skills too as you explore pastel techniques for each subject.
Each 2.5hr class usually start with a 20/30 minute demonstration of a painting subject to help you get started followed by one to one and group tuition throughout each lesson.
Class number restricted to approximately 20 students or so to ensure maximum tuition per student
This is a popular and exciting 6 week art course and fills quickly so early booking is highly recommended to avoid dissapointment.
Autumn 2018 dates
October 23, 30,
November 6, 13, 20, 27
Tuesday mornings 10am -12.30pm (Light refreshments included).
Price: £95pp for the full course
Subjects covered (2 weeks for every subject):
Autumn's glowing colours
October 23 and 30
A great subject to start the six week Autumn course with by creating a painting full of warm colours that also explore texture and pattern which will create a bold statement and composition.
Loose, splashy multiple layers for this two week subject using a variety of water media - very exciting! Suggested subjects - woodland Autumn light, an Autumn village lane, trees and barn and so on. The choice is yours!
Flowing, glowing waters
November 6 and 13
A great oportunity to paint a lovely Autumn river scene or Autumn mountan stream with overhanging trees.
This 2 week subject will help you how to paint moving water and shimmering reflections by adopting a more abstract approach with both drawn and painted marks combined. We focus on multiple layering wet in wet and glazing techniques together with masking techniques to create a painting with real depth with lost and found edges.
Coastal sunset textures
November 20 and 27
A subject to leave you all aglow as you learn how to create sharp contrasts between rich darks and glowing light to create a coastel painting full of intregue, atmoshere and expression.
We focus on different colour mixing glowing light and dark colours to for a semi abstract painting created with loose big brush strokes to keep the painting lively focusing on big shapes and ambience rather than fussy detail that would make a painting look laboured. Suggested subject - low tide estuary, rock pools and low tide, sunset over a rocky cove and so on.
Bardsey Village Hall is situated in the centre of the lovely village of Bardsey just a short distance alongside the A58 road a few miles south west of the market town of Wetherby. Bardsey is easily reached from junction 45 from the A1(M) being only 10 minutes away after your turn off following the A659 and turning left along the A58
With great facilities at the hall and the easy (free) on site parking, the hall is a popular with all art students being warm with good lighting and new improved and modern facilities.
Bardsey Village Hall, Woodacre Lane, Leeds LS17 9DG
What will be provided:
- Tea and coffee and light refreshments throughout each lesson
- Regular demonstrations to get you started for each class
- Regular group and one to one tuition throughout each lesson
What you will need to bring:
- PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING WITH YOU WEEK BY WEEK:
- Gouache/watercolour tube paints (your own favourite colours)
- Permanent White Gouache (ESSENTIAL!)
- Big brushes such as 'SAA Big Whopper' size 30 round, Pro Arte 'one stroke' brushes such as 2 inch flats and so on to include Swordliner (large)
- 300gsm (140lb) 'not' watercolour paper (Canson Moulin du Roy highly recommended) block, pad or loose sheet
- Acrylic inks (your own favourite colours) - OPTIONAL
- Your own photographs or sketches for each 2 week subject - if in doubt, search the internet
- Masking tape or bulldog clips to attach your paper and reference to your own drawing board
- Your own drawing board - a size you want to work to
- Mixing pallets - any brand or use a various old small WHITE ceramic plates
- Water pots
- Kitchen roll
- Note book
- Masking fluid
- An old hog brush or tooth brush (to be used for spatter techniques when needed)
- Soft pastels. Suggested brands Unisoncolour, Rembrandt or Sennelier (not oil or water soluble pastels please as these are for another course)