Autumn 2019 ‘Water with mixed water media’ - 6 week North Leeds art course
Bookings now being taken
Bardsey Village Hall
Bardsey Village Hall is situated in beautiful countryside alongside the A58 road a few miles south west of the market town of Wetherby. The hall has recently been refurbished and is spacious, warm, well lit and has plenty of free parking. The hall is easy to get to being a short distance from junction 45 on the A1(M).
'Water with water media'
6 week art course using watercolour, gouache and acrylic inks (optional) and soft pastel
With the main focus this Autumn on water - both still, moving and tumbling, we will explore colour and expression in very exciting ways!
Using large brushes loaded with colour, you will learn how to create different types of marks confidently as you paint and explore each 'water themed' subject week by week.
With one subject every two weeks, you will be able to see each painting develop in exciting stages and learn new and exciting ways of painting. We will use masking medium for example as part of the painting process - not just to stop you painting white areas. You will learn how to glaze different media in combination to create bold, looser and expressionistic paintings by 'letting go'!
Following short but exciting demonstrations to guide you each lesson over the six week course, you will learn how to become more confident with colour and gain a deeper understanding of 'what goes where and when' within the exciting creative world that is mixed media.
Each 2.5hr class usually start with a 20/30 minute demonstration of a painting subject to help you get started followed by one to one and group tuition throughout each lesson for every student.
Class number restricted to approximately 18 students or so to ensure maximum tuition per student
This is a popular and exciting 6 week art course and fills quickly so early booking is highly recommended to avoid dissapointment.
Autumn 2019 dates
October 22, 29,
November 5, 12, 26,
and December 3
Tuesday mornings 10am -12.30pm (Light refreshments included).
Price: £120pp for the full course (equivalent of £8 per hour per student)
Subjects covered (2 weeks for every subject):
22 and 29 October
A great subject to start the six week Autumn course by creating a painting of water full of movement and reflections. Learn how to create a bold statement and composition with colourful layering. Inks go down first. They cannot be moved or lifted. These exciting foundations are then build upon!
Suggested subjects - reflective river with overhanging trees with some movement in the water surface. The choice is yours!
Quiet tranquil pools and mirror reflections
5 and 12 November
A great oportunity to paint a lovely, perfect, tranquil reflection with mixed media.
This 2 week subject will teach you how to paint those shimmering reflections you have always wanted to know how to paint. By focusing on multiple layering of wet in wet and glazing techniques, you will create a painting with real depth with lost and found edges. The reflection itself might be the entire subject. Again, the choice is yours!
Tumbling mountain waters
November 26 and December 3
A cascade! Difficult to paint? Not if you know how! This two week mixed media painting exersise will teach you the creative skills to approach this subject with confidence and ease.
We focus on light and dark areas of colour in the fast moving water. By using loose, energetic brush strokes and keeping the painting lively your painting will be really expressive. The focus is on expression rather than fussy detail that would make a painting look laboured. Suggested subject - mountain streams, rocky river, waterfall over rocks - not Niagra Falls!
Bardsey Village Hall is situated in the centre of the lovely village of Bardsey just a short distance alongside the A58 road a few miles south west of the market town of Wetherby. Bardsey is easily reached from junction 45 from the A1(M) being only 10 minutes away after your turn off following the A659 and turning left along the A58
With great facilities at the hall and the easy (free) on site parking, the hall is a popular with all art students being warm with good lighting and new improved and modern facilities.
Bardsey Village Hall, Woodacre Lane, Leeds LS17 9DG
What will be provided:
- Tea and coffee and light refreshments throughout each lesson
- Regular demonstrations to get you started for each class
- Regular group and one to one tuition throughout each lesson
What you will need to bring:
- PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING WITH YOU WEEK BY WEEK:
- Gouache/watercolour tube paints (your own favourite colours)
- Permanent White Gouache (ESSENTIAL!)
- Big brushes such as size 30 round, Pro Arte 'one stroke' brushes, 2 inch flats and so on. A large Pro Arte Swordliner is highly recommended
- 300gsm (140lb) 'not' watercolour paper (Canson Moulin du Roy highly recommended) block, pad or loose sheet highly recommended. Full or half Imperial sheets available to buy at £5 full £2.50 half
- Acrylic inks (your own favourite colours) - OPTIONAL
- Your own photographs or sketches for each 2 week subject - if in doubt, search the internet
- Masking tape or bulldog clips to attach your paper and reference to your own drawing board
- Your own drawing board - a size you like to work with
- Mixing pallets - any brand or use a various old small WHITE ceramic plates
- Water pots
- Kitchen roll
- Note book
- Masking fluid and old brushes to apply it
- An old hog brush or tooth brush (to be used for spatter techniques when needed)
- Soft pastels. Suggested brands Unisoncolour, Rembrandt or Sennelier (not oil or water soluble pastels please as these are for another course)
- A hairdryer to speed up your painting processes if needed
- Soft and hard pastels