The Sandpiper Studio is set in a peaceful countryside location at Foxes Farm and Riding School on the Wirral Peninsular and a great place for our inspirational workshops. The Wirral estuary is just a stones throw away - the perfect place to relax and unwind for anyone staying over.
Sandpiper Studio is the dedicated studio of professional artist Julie McLean BA (Hons) who has also been teaching adults in a variety of drawing and painting media for more than 15 years.
The large, bright studio provides the ideal space for painting with friends in a relaxed and informal atmosphere - no wonder it is so popular! The workshops (14 students maximum) ensure individual learning needs will be met on this wonderful painting weekend and everyone is made to feel very welcome and at home straight away so you can relax and unwind into a great painting experience.
A great mixed media painting weekend at the Sandpiper Studio in South Wirral. With the inclusion of wild flowers in the landscape we will focuses on colour, shape, pattern and texture in so many exciting ways.
Our subjects are:
Day 1: a wild flower meadow which has returned to the 'wild' and explores a new angle to expressive landscape painting.
Day 2: Big sweeping estury - wet sands, reflective clouds
Using watercolour, gouache, pastel and acrylic ink you will learn how to become more expressive as artists with all these media as they interact to create a painting full of visual impact and intregue.
Using big brush techniques and a bold approach, you will be shown how to control large washes of colour in multiple layers whilst at the same time learning how to be more expressive as painters at the same time painting instinctively balancing spontaineity with control.
With regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition throughout each day you will learn lots of different contemporary art techniques to help you really develop as artists.
The weekend workshop is suitable for improvers and artists with some previous painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style.
This contemporary mixed media weekend can either be booked as a single day or as 2 days together.
Important: your own wild meadow landscape reference to work from and reflective clouds in soft sand (photos, sketches and so on) are highly recommended as those provided on the day to paint from cannot be taken away.
The Sandpiper Studio is located at Foxes Farm and Riding School in Ledsham on The Wirral Peninsular and is easily accessible from the M53 or A540 Chester High Road.
Only 10 minutes by car from Chester or Heswall with the nearest railway station is Hooton not far away, Sandpiper Studio is really easy to get to.
The studio and all facilities are on one level and there is plenty of parking directly outside.
For students travelling long distances and in need of local accommodation, a wide range of hotels, guest houses and travel lodges can be found within a few minutes’ drive from the studio.
Contact Julie for more information or go to www.visitwirral.com
How to Book your workshops
Each workshop is £75. You may book them both toghether or as separate days.
Telephone Julie 07788 412 480 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
A deposit of £20 is required for each workshop when booking if preferred with the balance due at least 6 weeks prior to the date of the workshop.
Lunch and all refreshments are included. Please advise us of any particular dietary requirements with Julie when booking.
For further information about your workshops contact
Julie Mclean, The Sandpiper Studio, Foxes Farm, Badgers Rake Lane, Ledsham, South Wirral CH66 8PF
Tel 07788 412 480
What will be provided:
- A wonderful buffet lunch together with tea, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day on both workshops
What you will need to bring:
- Fixative (not hairspray!)
- Large watercolour brushes such as Mops, Flats, Hakes and so on to include large Chinese brushes and a Large Swordliner (Pro Arte highly recommended).
- 300gsm (140lb) watercolour paper. 100% cotton/rag content Canson Moulin du Roy 'not' highly recommended.
- Large drawing board and an easel of your choice.
- Masking tape and bulldog clips to fasten and secure your paper to the board
- White ceramic plates (3 or 4) on which to mix your paints with several old jam jars for clean water mixing.
- Watercolour or gouache (your own choice of colours) to include Permanent White gouache as tube paints - essential!
- Your own good quality reference photos of wild flowers in fields and reflective clouds in wet sand such as sweeping estuary to work from. a4 gloss prints recommended. If required, some provided but cannot be taken away.
- Note book and camera to record things in the workshop
- A protective folder or stiff board with cover to keep your work upright and protected on the ay home.
- Soft and hard pastels - highly recommended Unisoncolour (SOFT) and Rembrandt (HARDER) pastels.
- Any brand of acrylic inks (your choice of colours).