This short break studio based art holiday gives all artists the ideal opportunity to explore Derwent's Inktense blocks as never before.
Because the main materials are provided (except those on the recommended 'what to bring' list below), this allows students to really 'go for it' by creating really expressive paintings and using the media to its full potential. With regular demonstrations, group and one to one learning experiences, this exciting course will be a real eye opener to what's possible to create with Derwent inktense and is sure to inspire!
A little about Inktense
Derwent Inktense is a very different media and a popular one amongst artists of different levels of ability too. Portable, lightweight, versatile and inspirational are just some of the atributes this brand new media. With 72 different colours within the entire range, Derwent Inktense blocks allow the artist to both draw and paint with them at the same time. Techniques akin to pastel painting and water media can be applied at the same time...and so much more!
Robert is a leading Associate Artist for Derwent, chosen for his creative and award winning art techniques usng select Derwent products which Include Inktense (amongst others) to create richly layered expressive paintings filled with colour, atmosphere and above all, a sence of place with an expressive edge.
Working in the studio and outdoors (weather permitting) Robert will guide every student through each and every step using Derwent Inktense teaching you lots of creative skills with this exciting media to create your very own eye catching paintings.
'This try before you buy' short break provides artists with more than just an insight with Derwent Inktense - instead by being creativity involved allows each student to use the special 24 Derwent Inktense colours provided to create exciting paintings each day to thoroughly get to know the media.
Inktense coloured pencil sets will also be provided by Higham Hall for use during your workshop as well as 2 half imperial sheets of watercolour paper (21 x 15 inches each size) so you can really create uninhibited and exciting paintings!
(Sorry, not suitable for pure beginners to art as the creative techniques taught may be too advanced).
- 24 Derwent Inktense sticks (one set per student for use during the course)
- Several sets of 24 Inktense coloured pencils (group share) for use during the course
- Canson Moulin du Roy 'not' 300gsm (140lb) top quality watercolour paper (one half imperial sized sheet per student each day) for your studio painting studies OR SIMILAR*
- Tea and coffee as light refreshments provided at regular breaks
- Expert tuition from Robert - group and one to one on regular basis
- Regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition
- Fully equipped modern studio on site at Higham Hall for painting days indoors
- Full board with excellent food and drink
- Afternoon and morning coffee breaks with light refreshments, cake and buscuits provided
- Regular group, one to one and plenty of easy follow demonstrations each and every day
*If you require more than one 1/2 imperial sheet of watercolour paper per day you can purchase from Robert at discount prices £3 half sheet £6 full sheet
What you need to bring
- Your favourite watercolour brushes - the larger the better
- Masking medium and an old brush or similar to apply it
- Kitchen roll or absorbant cloths
- Masking tape, bulldog clips
- Large plastic bag or similar to protect/cover your half imperial sized work when working outdoors
- A medium size backpack in which to put your things when working outdoors
- Good boots, hat, gloves, raincoat and warm clothing etc for working outdoors
- A camera and note book
- Scrap paper (A4 printer paper ideal)
- A plastic pallete with deep wells to hold mixed colours or similar highly recommended
- A sharp craft knife
- Soft graphite stick and an eraser
- Permanent white gouache - essential
- Old jam jars (for clean water mixing) studio - plastic lightweight ones for working outdoors
Suitable for artists with some experience or those who wish to develop contemporary art techniques with a unique medium to give their work impact.
Class numbers restricted to 12 to ensure maximum learning potential for all students so early booking is highly recommended to avoid disappointment.
How to book
For further information and to book please contact the administration team on
Tel: 017687 76276
Office hours 09:00 to 17:00
Higham Hall, Bassenthwaite Lake, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9SH
Highly recommended viewing of the following film to give students another insight into Roberts award winning Inktense techniques
At the end of the course you'll have the opportunity to buy Inktense products from Robert at discount prices (subject to availability) if you wish.
What you use at Higham Hall during this course is NOT PART OF THE FEE AND CANNOT BE TAKEN HOME. SORRY!
- Residential : £350.00
- Non residential : £249.00
- Materials included : £0.00