The Sandpiper Studio is set in a peaceful countryside location at Foxes Farm and Riding School on the Wirral Peninsular and a great place for our inspirational workshops. The Wirral estuary is just a stones throw away - the perfect place to relax and unwind for anyone staying over.
Sandpiper Studio is the dedicated studio of professional artist Julie McLean BA (Hons) who has also been teaching adults in a variety of drawing and painting media for more than 15 years.
The large, bright studio provides the ideal space for painting with friends in a relaxed and informal atmosphere - no wonder it is so popular! The workshops (14 students maximum) ensure individual learning needs will be met on this wonderful painting weekend and everyone is made to feel very welcome and at home straight away so you can relax and unwind into a great painting experience.
A great mixed media painting experienc at the Sandpiper Studio awaits!
Our subjects are:
Day 1: Glorious yellow rapeseed fields! A contemporary mixed media workshop with painting techniques using big brushes and a loose, expressive approach
Friday 14 May 2021
Rapeseed fields in their full glory always lift the spirits. The colour yellow brings joy those glorious yellow fields, contrasting so sharply with the usual green landscape of Spring sure focuses our attention!
In you first day mixed media workshop I will show you how watercolour, gouache, pastel and acrylic ink can be used in an exciting expressive way with looseness and layering to create a painting full of visual impact, energy and life.
You will learn the importance of light and dark with tonal appreciation, how to make colours ‘sing’ and how to mix greens cleanly and effectively to create a painting that will be more than eye catching to say the least!
The local fields surounding Sandpiper Studio when the rapeseed fields are in full bloom are an absolute joy and I have sketched, painted and photographed them too. These photographs I will bring withme to the workshop together with further inspirational painting reference of high quality photographic prints of the gorgeous fieldds and countryside that surrounds our local village here in North Yorkshire.
Day 2: Flowing and cascading waters
Saturday 15 May 2021
Waterfalls and tumbling mountain waters! Always a tricky one to paint - not when you know how and you will know how once you attend this workshop!
This exciting workshop using loose expressive applications of paint and pastel in multiple layers focuses on brush techniques to utilise the rough surface texture of your watercolour paper to evoke movement, energy surface relief and depth in your painting.
Tumbling waters such as a rocky mountain stream in the landscape is the theme - not Niagra Falls! You will learn how the white of the paper is important, how deep tone adds the sparkle and how a great compositional decision can mean all the difference for your successful mixed media painting that will be filled with movment and textures.
Some reference is provided to paint from but bringing your own is highly recommended as tutor reference used on the day cannot be taken away.
With regular demonstrations, one to one and group tuition throughout each day you will learn lots of different contemporary art techniques to help you really develop as artists.
The weekend workshop is suitable for improvers and artists with some previous painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style.
This contemporary mixed media weekend can either be booked as a single day or as 2 days together.
Important: Some reference is provided to paint from but bringing your own is highly recommended as tutor reference used on the day cannot be taken away.
The Sandpiper Studio is located at Foxes Farm and Riding School in Ledsham on The Wirral Peninsular and is easily accessible from the M53 or A540 Chester High Road.
Only 10 minutes by car from Chester or Heswall with the nearest railway station is Hooton not far away, Sandpiper Studio is really easy to get to.
The studio and all facilities are on one level and there is plenty of parking directly outside.
For students travelling long distances and in need of local accommodation, a wide range of hotels, guest houses and travel lodges can be found within a few minutes’ drive from the studio.
Contact Julie for more information or go to www.visitwirral.com
How to Book your workshops
Telephone Julie 07788 412 480 or Email email@example.com to book.
A deposit of £20 is required for each workshop when booking if preferred with the balance due at least 6 weeks prior to the date of the workshop.
Lunch and all refreshments are included. Please advise us of any particular dietary requirements with Julie when booking.
For further information about your workshops contact
Julie Mclean, The Sandpiper Studio, Foxes Farm, Badgers Rake Lane, Ledsham, South Wirral CH66 8PF
Tel 07788 412 480
What will be provided:
- A wonderful buffet lunch together with tea, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day on both workshops
What you will need to bring for each workshop:
- Fixative (not hairspray!)
- Large watercolour brushes such as Mops, Flats, Hakes and so on to include large Chinese brushes and a Large Swordliner (Pro Arte highly recommended).
- 300gsm (140lb) watercolour paper. 100% cotton/rag content Canson Moulin du Roy 'not' highly recommended for day 1 and
300gsm (140lb) watercolour paper. 100% cotton/rag content Canson Heritage 'rough' (or similar) highly recommended for day 2
- Large drawing board and an easel of your choice.
- Masking tape and bulldog clips to fasten and secure your paper to the board
- White ceramic plates (3 or 4) on which to mix your paints with several old jam jars for clean water mixing.
- Watercolour or gouache (your own choice of colours) to include Permanent White gouache as tube paints - essential!
- Acrylic inks (any brand) - your own choce of colours but the subjects will give you an idea what to choose. Indigo and Burnt Umber highly recomended
- Your own good quality reference photos of Rapeseed fields and cascading mountain waterfalls to work from.
A4 gloss prints recommended. If required, some provided but cannot be taken away.
- Note book and camera to record things in the workshop
- A protective folder or stiff board with cover to keep your work upright and protected on the ay home.
- Soft and hard pastels - highly recommended Unisoncolour (SOFT) and Rembrandt (HARDER) pastels.
- Any brand of acrylic inks (your choice of colours).
- Each workshop is £75. You may book them both together or as separate days : £140.00