The old House Studio is set amidst beautiful open scenery in the Longdendale Valley with magnificent views over the Rhodeswood Resevour and surounding moors in the magnificent Peak District.
With farmhouse, annex and fabulous new and modern studio, this peaceful and relaxing haven is perfect for our weekend 'art retreat' weekend where you will learn lots!
Situated 3 miles from Glossop and with some of Derbyshire's best attractions being close by such as Buxton, Castleton, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall to name but a few, The Old House Studio offers an amazing and unique place to learn new art skills.
Day 1 Saturday 18 March
Semi abstract colourful field patterns
Yellow as a colour brings life and energy to any painting. With two very different paintings in mind over this exciting creative weekend we focus on day one on painting bold blocks of colour with those wonderous flashes of yellow surrounded by glorious greens to create very dynamic paintings indeed. When you see them those yellow fields you just so want to paint them so here is your chance!
You will learn how to make strong compositions with a bold use of colour, imply detail and expressively paint it with loose gestural layering rather than struggle with over complicated detail. Combining paint and pastel you will also learn how to mix colours effectively and utilise surface texture to create eye catching effects.
Suitable for improvers and artists with some previous painting experience as well as artists who want to loosen up their style and be more free and expressive whilst having a great leaning experience together.
Day 2 Sunday 19 March
Expressive Glorious yellow rapeseed fields
Continuing with our celebration of natures glorious colour of yellow, in this workshop we will be expressively painting not just the flashes of yellow in the landscape but being right there amongst the field! I will teach you how to paint with expression both close up detail and distant colour to create a painting with real depth and texture and dazling colour so your painting has real presence and vitality to it.
During both workshops you will also learn how to create free flowing wash effects with layered water colour/gouach, acrylic inks learning how to create translucent, semi-opaque and opaque marks with drawn and layered pastel techniques at al the right stages to create paintings you will be thrilled that you attended and created!
The Old House Studio, woodhead Road, Torside, Glossop, Derbyshire SK13 1HU
Some limited accommodation is available for artists staying the full weekend and for distance travellers. Early booking highly recommended!
From Glossop town centre (A57) take B6105 signposted Barnsley. Proceed approx 3 miles along this road where you will reach a sharp bend called Devil's Elbow and continue for another 500yards. The Old House Studio is situated on the left hand side 50 yards below the road. A warm welcome awaits upon your arrival!
How to Book your workshop
Please contact Joanne or James Crook to book your place directly by calling 01457 857527 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your place.
Places are limited to 8 STUDENTS ONLY and there are not many places left so booking right now is highly recommended!
For further information about your workshops contact:
Joanne or James direct or visit http://www.pennine-art.uk/
What will be provided:
- Tea and coffee and light refreshments all day as and when required
- Home cooked food and tasty generous l 2 course lunches each day on your workshop
- Regular demonstrations, group and one to one tuition throughout each day
- Hassle free paper to purchase for your workshop from Canson Ambassador Robert Dutton at £2.50 per half Imperial sheet and £5 full Imperial sheet
What you will need to bring:
- Large drawing board (size depending on how you like to work)
- Masking tape and bulldog clips
- Your own good quality reference photos (or similar) of rapeseed fields and yellow wild flower meadows to work from. Some good quality A4 provided to work from but cannot be taken away.
- Canson Moulin du Roy 'not and 'rough' 300gsm (140lb) 100% cotton watercolour paper highly recommended.
- Gouache and/or Watercolour TUBE PAINTS (your own favourite colours). Pan paints in any watercolour box will not do!!
- Soft and hard pastels. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED UNISONCOLOUR and ROYAL TALENS REMBRANDT
- Pastel fixative (any brand) but not hairspray please!
- Canson Moulin du Roy 'not' 300gsm (140lb) 100% cotton watercolour paper highly recommended.
- Large watercolour brushes (approximately 'size 30 round'), large Mops, Hakes and so on highly recommended
- Large containers or palettes with wells and water pots to mix your paints
- Permanent White Gouache is ESSENTIAL!
- Scrap paper - A4 envelope size recommended
- Kitchen Roll
- Acrylic inks - Various colours (students choice similar to your favorite watercolours). Royal Talens acrylic inks highly recommended.
- An old large 'hog' brush
- Masking fluid (may be needed)
- Don't forget your camera and notebook (to record each stage if you'd like to)
- Solid 4B graphite stick (eg Lyra brand) and an eraser
- The price of your workshop for the full weekend : £160.00